Living a life that is free from harm and abuse is a fundamental human right for every person and an essential requirement for health and well-being.
This guide is intended to complement Local Safeguarding Adults and Safeguarding Children Procedures. Safeguarding Procedures offer a clear set of guidelines to ensure those at risk from harm receive a safe and consistent response, supporting workers to make defensible decisions.
When working with individuals and families at risk from harm, any intervention should:
- Support the victim to keep safe
- Protect any child/ren at risk of harm
- Put measures in place to keep child/ren safe
- Support cross agency communication and partnership working to maximise the safeguarding response to all concerned
All individuals working with the public have a minimum responsibility to:
- Be clear about their own role and responsibilities in relation to safeguarding as well as that of colleagues
- Follow internal agency procedures for reporting incidents/risks