What should I ask?
Always be clear about what you are asking. Possible prompts may include:
- Part of my role is to deal with various issues which affect people which include domestic abuse – can you tell me about your relationship?
- I have noticed ………which has made me concerned for you.
- Are you ever scared of your partner?
- Have you felt put down by your partner (ex-partner)?
- Has your partner physically threatened or hurt you? Or someone else?
- Do you need medical attention now? – If the answer is yes, then this becomes priority. Please seek immediate medical support and suspend further questioning. However – risk should be considered and appropriate action taken if required.