1. Skip to content

Learning from Child Death Overview Panel (CDOP)

'Make it Safe' Campaign - letter re dangers of blinds cords

Children under 5, particularly those aged 16-36 months, are at most risk from blind cord/chain strangulation, although this can affect older vulnerable children as well.

In the UK, since 1999, we are aware of a total of 30 deaths from blind cord strangulation, with 17 of these since 2010.

Ingestion of Disc Button Batteries

Following the review of a case at Panel, work has been undertaken to raise awareness in relation to the danger from ingestion of disc button batteries.

Such batteries are found in a number of everyday objects, including toys and musical birthday/greeting cards, and if ingested there is a significant risk they will not pass through the digestive tract in a timely manner.

As a result, the impulses emitted from the battery cause erosion of the gastro-intestinal tract and lead to internal bleeding.

If ingestion is known or suspected, prompt medical assistance should be sought.

If you would like this information in a different language please contact:

Leicester City Council on 0116 454 1000

Leicestershire County Council on 0116 232 3232

Rutland County Council on 01572 722 577

Alternatively please contact the CDOP office on 0116 295 8724

PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION

Be Battery Aware

Media articles

Derby button battery girl Kacie Barradell home after ordeal